Friday 23 February 2018

COMC Black Friday: 1999 - 2002 Browns; and Christmas packs 28 & 29

There are still Browns cards to show from the early expansion years after showing individual players in my earlier posts so we'll get to those now.
Top (l-r): 1999 Collector's Edge First Place - Gold Ingot #36; - Gold Ingot #37
Bottom (l-r): 1999 Score - Showcase #145 (#/1989); - Showcase #143 (#/1989)
Still chasing parallels from 1999.

Collector's Edge First place set had six parallels. Yes, that is a lot less than many modern sets, but I think it is still too many. 1999 Score only had two parallels. That seems so much more reasonable.

All three players above only played the 1999 season with the Browns, with Detmer being injured for the 2000 season before being traded to Detroit, and Kirby moving on to play three years with Oakland.

Top (l-r): 2000 Bowman Reserve - Rookie Autographs #TP; 2000 Playoff Absolute #177 (#/3000)
Bottom (l-r): 2000 Playoff Momentum #115 (#/750); 2000 Topps Gallery - Player's Private Issue #172 (#/250)
The Browns picked Dennis Northcutt out of Arizona with the first pick of the second round of the 2000 NFL Draft. He played ten years in the NFL, seven with the Browns followed by two with the Jaguars and one with the Lions.

Travis Prentice was selected with the first pick of the third round out of Miami (Ohio). He rushed for 512 yards and 7 touchdowns in his rookie season before being traded to the Vikings just before the 2001 season.

Top: 2000 Quantum Leaf - Rookie Revolution #RR-13 (#/5000)
Bottom: 2000 SPx #141 (#/2000)

Some pretty rare serial numbered cards there! I say that, but really, although I pull a lot of serial numbered cards now, and that are in lower quantities than these, it isn't as though I'm pulling the Browns that I want. I'm happy to find these on the secondary market.

Top: 2001 Fleer Premium #237 (#/2001)
Bottom: 2001 Pacific Titanium - Post-Season Football #P25 (#/795)

The Browns drafted James Jackson from the Miami Hurricanes in the third round of the 2001 NFL Draft.

I really like the die-cut Pacific card with the helmet in the background.

Top: 2001 Pacific Vanguard - V-Team Rookies #8 (#/999)
Bottom: 2001 SAGE - Autographs Bronze #A32 (#/650)

Quincy Morgan was selected out of Kansas State in the second round of the 2001 NFL Draft. He was traded to the Cowboys for Antonio Bryant midway during his fourth season.

L: 2001 Topps Chrome - Refractors #148 (#/999); 2001 Upper Deck Rookie F/X #160
The 2001 Upper Deck Rookie F/X set is a pretty annoying one. Cards in the set duplicate other Upper Deck styles - this one copies the Upper Deck Victory set. I'm thankful that there are resources like The Trading Card Database to help sort things out.

Aaron Shea wore number 80 for the Browns from 2000-2003 before switching to number 83 for 2004 and 2005 after new 2004 first round pick Kellen Winslow bought the number from him for an undisclosed amount that was less than $20,000.

Top: 2002 Fleer Maximum #254 (#/3500)
Middle: 2002 Fleer Premium - All-Rookie Team #2 AR
Bottom: 2002 SPx #144 (#/1500)
William Green was the Browns first round pick in the 2002 NFL Draft out of Boston College. He played four seasons with the Browns before being released after coming to agreement on an injury settlement with the team following the 2006 training camp.

(L-R): 2002 Fleer Premium #165 (#/1250); 2002 Leaf Rookies & Stars - Action Packed Bronze #10 (#/1850)
I used to really like Action Packed cards. At least this insert card has the raised player photo and rounded corners like the original set but it just isn't the same.

Top (l-r): 2002 Donruss Elite - College Ties #CT-10 (#/1600); 2002 Pacific #498
Bottom: 2002 Fleer Maximum #284 (#/3500)
As can be seen in the College Ties card, André Davis was a teammate of Michael Vick at Virginia Tech. He was drafted by the Browns in the second round of the 2002 NFL Draft.

Davis is one of the receivers tied for the NFL record for longest reception with a 99 yard touchdown reception against the Bengals on October 17, 2004.

L-R: 2002 Topps Pristine #99; - Refractors #100 (#/499)
Something that may be interesting to other card collectors. In the fifth round of the 2002 NFL Draft, the Browns drafted linebacker Andra Davis of Florida. There are times that I have to be careful as to whether I need the Andra or André Davis cards. I also find that I sometimes mix the two when I'm sorting cards by player.

Left: 2002 Fleer Premium - Star Ruby #SR11 (#/100)
Middle: 2002 Pacific Crown Royale - Blue #36 (#/175)
Right: 2002 Topps Reserve #59 (#/999)
 If you look carefully, you will see the blue foil in the top right on the middle Crown Royale card.

L-R: 2002 Pacific Private Stock Titanium - Red #26 (#/275); 2002 Topps Chrome - Refractors #84 (#/599)
I like the way that you sometimes get a nice glow while scanning chrome refractors.

----------

Today's Christmas baseball packs brings us two packs of...


...1992 Stadium Club Series 1!

Let's see what I get!

Pack 1:
Seeing the O'Brien card as the first card in the pack was great. A Mets catcher in a play at the plate, is there much better than that? Well, maybe the ball could be in his glove. Pictures like this one is what I remember Stadium Club for.

I really like the Braggs photo, and like the Biggio and Fryman photos, but wish that they were all cropped out just a bit. I'd like to see Braggs' extended foot and the full bats on the Biggio and Fryman cards.

 More enjoyable photos. I think I remember seeing Gross start a game for the Expos in Montreal.


Wow, Todd Hundley sure looks young. Love the photo on the Hoiles card.

Of course, Stadium Club had a feature on their backs that I always flipped over to see.

I loved seeing the rookie card on the back.

If you wondered about the BARS chart on the back, well this pack took care of that. This card was also inserted in the pack.

Pack 2:

The Stieb photo is a little boring, but he was a great pitcher for the Jays. I like the Karkovice photo.


Out of these cards, I like the Wally Joyner photo sliding into home best.

Ramon Martinez sure twists his body in his delivery.

I don't remember seeing many photos completely in the profile as on the Bud Black card. There probably are many but I like the photo.


Sean Berry was traded to the Expos during the 1992 season and was part of their very talented 1994 team.

The insert in this pack was for the Topps Stadium Club Membership.

I never joined.

I think based on players and photos the first pack was the better of the two.

I should only have three more posts to go with Christmas baseball packs. Posting them here has made opening them more enjoyable and made me give more thought to the cards than I would have had I opened them all on Christmas Day.

2 comments:

  1. Please keep sharing those 2000s Browns cards. So many of them were in my Browns collection and this gives me fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll always have plenty to post.

      Delete