Friday 13 April 2018

Recent card show purchases

I hadn't been to the local monthly card show for a few months. I managed to get out to the last one and found a bunch of stuff to buy.

L-R: 2014 Panini Boxing Day - Thick Stock #21; 2015 Panini Rookies & Stars - Dress for Success #SD8

I already owned the regular version of the Manziel Boxing Day card, but didn't own the thick stock one. The regular one has a serial number, the thick stock doesn't.

These came from a dealer that comes out to this show once in a while. He sometimes has some nice stuff, but I hate when I have to ask how much stuff is. You're the dealer, you quote me a price. Don't ask me what I want to pay for something. But since he did, I offered him five dollars for these two cards and he accepted.

All of the rest of the football cards shown came from the only regular dealer at the show that regularly carries football cards. He puts Browns cards aside for me, and if I come across anything that I think he'll like, I'll bring it to him and he'll trade with me, or give me credit towards any purchases. The best thing is, he's more than fair in the amounts that he gives me credit for. I really like dealing with the guy. And he's sympathetic to my being a Browns fan!

He was happy to see me, and had some Browns put aside for me. He said that he had brought them the last couple of months. Oops, I guess I should have gone to one of the previous shows.

Left: 2015 Donruss - Stat Line Season Gold #233 (#/140)
Middle: 2015 Panini Rookies & Stars - Longevity Team Logo #172 (#/50)
Right: 2015 Panini Rookies & Stars - Longevity Rookie Signatures Team Logo Type #RS-VM (#/99)

Woo hoo! More Vince Mayle! How can I pass those cards up?

Left: 2015 Panini Rookies & Stars - Longevity Team Name #190 (#/299)
Middle: 2015 Panini Rookies & Stars - Crusade Rookies Blue #CR23
Right: 2015 Panini Rookies & Stars - Crusade Blue #C39

I understood the Danny Shelton trade to New England. He fits their 3-4 better than our 4-3, and we have other young guys the Browns would like to play instead. However, I still like him, and hope he does really well with the Patriots.

I guess I've seen too many Crusade cards over the years because I was pretty sure that I owned both of these cards when I was buying the lot of Browns cards at the show. I figured that even if I wound up with doubles I could find homes for them. Good thing I grabbed them because I needed them.

2017 Panini Classics - Timeless Tributes Orange #270 (#/25)

I can't say that I'm displeased to get a card numbered out of 25 of the number one pick of the 2017 NFL Draft.

After giving him a bunch of traders, mostly base cards or simple insert cards, I paid the dealer twenty dollars for these seven cards. I was very happy with that.

I did find other interesting things to buy at the show than just Browns cards. Some things won't be shown in this post because I bought them for other bloggers, and will let them eventually reveal the cards, but here are some things I bought for myself.

I found a couple of New York Mets items, not for my Opening Day Lineup project, but just to have.

1992 Kellogg's All Star Canadian Tom Seaver

I found this Tom Seaver still in its plastic wrap for fifty cents. And, not surprising as I am in Canada, it is the bilingual Canadian version.



I'll leave it in the packaging for now.

I also found what looked like a complete Kahn's team set for five dollars. As it turns out it was missing four cards of the thirty-six card set - Jeff Innis, Keith Miller, Jeff Musselman and Frank Viola. However, it did have its ad card.

Here are some selected cards from the set.


My all-time favorite baseball player with three of his pitchers. I remember seeing Cone pitch in Montreal a couple of times, but I don't remember ever seeing Gooden or Darling in person.

Looking at the back of the cards:

I think I would take these backs over a lot of the new ones. No facts or write-up, but complete stats.


Managers and coaches had write-ups on their backs. Jefferies had his "Complete Major & Minor League Record" on his.


I may try to pick up the missing four cards at a later date, but am not too worried about missing some right now.

I also picked up some non-sports sets that caught my eye. Combined, they set me back ten dollars.


What's this? What's this?

It's a small 36 card Nightmare Before Christmas set put out by NECA in 2001.


The movie had a great story, and wonderful music.


How can you pass up a Hallowe'en Christmas movie?


I have friends that went out to a couples Hallowe'en party as Jack and Sally. I thought their costumes were great.

I also found a couple of Marvel Comics card sets.


A 90 card base set put out by Rittenhouse called Marvel Greatest Battles.


The set was separated into segments for eleven heroes, with symbols representing each in the bottom left corners. The heroes are Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Rogue, Ms. Marvel, Black Widow, and Elektra.


The backs are very simple, as you can see in the bottom right card above. It is of the Fantastic Four card in the bottom left of the second grouping of cards. It tells who is fighting, and in what issue, along with the artist. I wish they would have given the cover dates of each issue.

Nothing against this set, but I really preferred the next one, a 2012 set from Rittenhouse.


The Bronze Age is an 81 card set. Not only is it artwork that I like, but it is on card stock as opposed to today's glossy cards. I love the years in the bottom right corners.


One of the above teams is a favorite of mine. Yes, I'm Canadian, so it is Alpha Flight.


Go Dazzler!

Moon Knight is my favorite Marvel hero so I'll use his card to show the information on the backs.

I love all the information on these cards. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if there are any other similar sets.

All in all, a pretty good day at a card show.



4 comments:

  1. Great pickups all around. Dug the nightmare before christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like it was a great day at the show! The sets were a really nice pick-up, especially the Bronze Age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool pickups. That Kahn's team set is sweet! The mid to late 80's Mets teams were chock-full of talent. My favorites were Gooden and Darling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at that pitching lineup for the Mets!! Wow...heck, the batting lineup is equally impressive!

    ReplyDelete